Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The New Missal Translation

I haven't posted in quite awhile. I'm not sure how many of you have noticed since I only have 4 followers. I very much appreciate any who have read my posts.

I just wanted to share that I'm very excited for the new English translation for the Roman Missal. In the next year or so it should start to be intregrated into parishes for regular use. Currently there are various workshops available for priests and diocesan leaders, sign-up is on the USCCB website.
It should be clear that the changes will result in not a different Holy Mass, but a more accurate translation from the original Latin.
My personal opinion is the new translation will add more solemnity and dignity to the Mass. I think some of the words such as "cup" will do better to be called "chalice". My hopes are that Catholics all across the English-speaking world will welcome the new words and it will limit liturgical abuses by reinforcing the "read the black, do the red" rubrics of the divine liturgy. I know of a priest, though well intended, will add in his own words to the Ecce Agnus Dei. He will say "This is the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. It's Jesus Christ who calls us together, happy are we who are called in his name."  This personally drives me nuts! I think it's a liturgical abuse but correct me if I'm wrong, it's nothing serious enough to go to the Bishop about. One of the reasons I became a Catholic was to avoid being Protestant where we make up everything as we go along. I try to be a "by the book" Catholic, faithful to the Holy Father and Magisterium of the Church.
So, I'm hoping that the new translation will not only make the words used in Mass more holy, reverent, and dignified; but also reinforce to the priests that the words of the liturgy are not to be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment